The importance of NSF Certification
There are important reasons to look for NSF Certification when purchasing a water filter:
- Performance claims may be based on internal testing only.
Do you have access to all
the testing procedures used? Was
testing done to industry standards?
- Sometimes stated capacities are misleading
because they may be based on only chemical (chlorine) reduction and don’t take particulates into consideration. Particulates have an important role in how long a filter will last. Most often, a filter plugs from dirt before the chemical capacity is used up.
- In capacity claims, it’s not always clear what percentage of chemical contaminants are actually reduced.
For example, if there is only a 50% reduction in chlorine then higher capacities can be claimed. But is removal of only half the chlorine acceptable for quality beverages?
NSF Certification ensures that:
- The contaminant reduction claims certified are true and accurate.
- The materials of construction do not add anything unwanted to the water such as lead.
- The system is structurally sound.
- Advertising claims are true and accurate.